Have you ever seen anyone unhappy inside an ice cream shop? Chances are low. And if they are, they're probably there to cheer up. You can't help but smile when you walk into Scrumptious. We describe it as the neighborhood ice cream shop with absolute endless character. We chatted with Scott Spears about his pretty perfect ice cream and candy shop landmark in Longmont.
1. How and when did Scrumptious begin? Did you always have a desire to establish and operate a neighborhood ice cream/candy shop?
We opened in November of 2013. Our Longmont location was our second Scrumptious location (the first was/is in Olde Town Arvada). Since we were already doing it in Arvada, we wanted to spread the joy to more areas!
2. What’s your personal connection to Longmont, and why did you choose this community?
We were drawn to Longmont because it had a very similar feel to Olde Town Arvada, as well as that the owner’s father had worked in Longmont for years. The DDA was a huge bonus while looking at Longmont as our second location as they were extremely welcoming and helpful.
3. If you had to describe Scrumptious to someone who has never been, how would you do so?
Scrumptious makes everyone feel like a kid again. You walk in and almost everyone can see something that reminds them of their childhood. From candy, to ice cream, to fun novelties, there is no way to be in a bad mood at Scrumptious. But, its not just for kids. Big screen TVs playing sports entertain adults while their kids can look around. And the award winning homemade ice cream is a must!
4. Let’s talk about the ice cream. What makes Scrumptious’ ice cream a thing of beauty?
We use a super premium mix, and make it in a gelato machine, which puts less air into the ice cream making it more creamier. With that, we have come up with many signature flavors, along with many regular/everyday flavors, that really set us apart. These flavors include Elvis, Santa's Breath, Leprechaun Poop, and many others
5. Other than your own ice cream, who makes the best? Don’t feel geographically restricted here — we’re talking anywhere in the world.
To be honest, the gelato in Italy is the best. I don't know how they make it or what ingredients they put in it, but there is something about it that can't be replicated!
6. As a small business owner, what’s been one of the great challenges and one of the great successes of operating Scrumptious?
We have had many different challenges, but the greatest challenge has been COVID. We know has been really hard on everyone, employees and guests alike. We take the rules very seriously and it is hard to explain to guests that these are not our rules, we just have to enforce them. Obviously the shutdown was very hard on us financially, but mentally as well. We look forward to getting to the other side of this at some point. As for a success, it would have to be bringing so much joy to people. You really can’t be in a bad mood with ice cream and candy, and it feels great to be able to bring happiness to so many.
7. Finally, if you were sending an invite to the entire LoCo community to stop by Scrumptious, what would it say?
Come take a break from the crazy world with us! We have all of your favorite treats to take your mind off of everything! Escape into a cup of home made ice cream or your favorite candy!